July 12, 2010

Shadow

The Shadow

A shadow, suspended above the abyss,
That watery chasm that swallows thoughts
Of civilization, population, existence.
The only light is his lantern, a light
That brings him here at 3am each morning,
Clearing the fog, and clearing the mind.

Bobbing, the shadow does not fight the waves,
He listens to the splash of tiny prawns
In the shallows, a comforting sound.
He is peaceful, lonely and content,
He is not lost, he is vanished and he is waiting
For a flathead, throwing back the yabby.

The moon, the largest light shines down,
High dunes and luscious green hills surround
The field of dampness, but so far away.
Beneath, life keeps moving and breathing,
Above, life stops and there is a feeling
Of the earth holding it’s breath for a moment.

He floats, alone in his dingy holding a stubby,
The other hand holds the fishing rod dangling
The line leading to the end, following the current.
Rime, his eyes close as he concentrates,
Through the gloom you can see him shiver
And hear, as he pulls the chord, “Bloody nuthin’”.

Elise Patience

(Please don't steal my poem. Let me know if anyone wishes to use it or copy it in any way.)

1 comment:

  1. Man, that poem is better than mine. This is Annika btw. I can see why you love doing poetry, it's brilliant.
    This is mine;

    A breeze of light, crisp, salty air
    Blows the fallen leaves,
    Shakes the gum tree branches
    And brings the smell of bush and sea.
    As it makes it’s way around me,
    The scent lingers in the air.
    It’s of salt and eucalyptus,
    A smell I’ve come to know,
    A smell I’ve come to love.

    With the lightest touch,
    The air flows around me
    And brings a raucous sound,
    Of the good old magpie and the laughing galahs
    Coming from the town.
    The town I do not know,
    It’s the city where I live,
    A city I’ve come to know,
    A city I’ve come to love.

    I’m on the beach,
    Where land meets sea,
    It’s where we chose to settle
    All those years ago.
    We huddle on the coast,
    Except for those crazy few
    Who choose to live in the big red heart
    Of this country that I know,
    This country that I love.

    The sand is warm and reassuring,
    It flows between my toes.
    I’ve been to bush and water,
    But there’s still so much to see
    In this big open country.
    Beaches yet discovered,
    Bush land trails to find.
    It’s something that I don’t know
    And yet it’s something that I love.

    Like the land,
    In it’s diverse nature,
    Her inhabitants are diverse too.
    From an ugly, white past
    We have come so far
    So that now we can sing,
    “We are one, but we are many”
    A line that all should know,
    A song that all should love.

    And although this breeze is not progressive,
    Indeed it’s almost stagnant,
    I wouldn’t be anywhere else
    But here in this place.
    And whilst I won’t be called patriotic,
    I won’t say what’s “un-Australian”,
    I’ll still love this goddamned country.
    Because being Australian is what I know,
    It’s simply what I love.

    I'll have to edit it tomorrow, I am disliking parts of it, gosh and now I need to relate it to the poems we've done *sigh*. :/

    ReplyDelete